Calendar Chamber Community Join Members Only Contact Us
live work play shop advocate

Doing Business in Los Angeles

Business License
Building Permits
Ficticious Name Filings
Corporate Filings
Seller's Permits
Information for new and existing businesses

Whether you’re relocating to the area or starting a business from scratch, the Greater San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce can link you to the agencies needed to get your business off the ground.

Business Licenses (Business Tax Certificate)
Required for all entities doing business within the City of Los Angeles.
Office of Finance, Tax & Permit Division
6262 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 110
Van Nuys 91401
(818) 374-6850

Building & Construction Permits: Required for all new and remodeling construction, including change of occupancy.
City of Los Angeles Building & Safety
6262 Van Nuys Blvd.
Van Nuys 91401
(888) 524-2845 (Inside L.A. County) (213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)

Zoning Approval: Permitted uses, development regulations, design review, sign permits, and parking regulations.
Los Angeles Department of Building & Safety
6262 Van Nuys Blvd. 91401
(888) 524-2845 (Inside L.A. County) (213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)

Land Use Permit: Zone change, variance, conditional use permit
City of Los Angeles Building & Safety
6262 Van Nuys Blvd. 91401
(888) 524-2845 (inside L.A. County)
(213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)

Business Personal Property: Property used in the operation of a business such as machinery, equipment, trade fixtures, etc. and is taxable and subject to assessment. Business operations need to file a Business Property Statement annually with the Office of the Assessor declaring property on hand as of January 1 of each year. Generally those businesses with personal property and fixtures with a cost less that $100,000 are not required to file property taxes.
County of Los Angeles
Office of the Assessor
Business Personal Property Assessments
13800 Balboa Blvd.
Sylmar 91342
(818) 833-6000

Fictitious Name Filing (DBA): Required if fictitious name is used. Name search can be completed on the Internet.
Business Name Filing & Registration
Van Nuys Branch Office
14340 W. Sylvan Street
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 374-7191

Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings: If you are considering becoming a corporation (either stock or nonprofit), a limited liability company, or a partnership (limited, limited liability, or general), you must file with the Secretary of State’s Office
Secretary of State
Business Programs Division
1500 11th Street
Sacramento 95814
(916) 657-5448

Occupational Safety & Health Information: Businesses with employees must prepare an Injury and Illness Prevention Plan. The state provides a no-fee consultation service to assist employers with preventing unsafe working conditions and workplace hazards.
Cal/OSHA Consultation Services
320 W. Fourth St., Room 850
Los Angeles 900136
(213) 576-7451

Registration Form for Employers: Required to file a registration within 15 days after paying more than $100 in wages to one or more employees. No distinction is made between full-time and part-tine or permanent and temporary employees in meeting this requirement.
Employment Development Department
Employment Tax Customer Service Office
800 Capitol Mall, MIC 83
Sacramento, CA 95814

Sales & Use Permit (Seller’s Permit): All businesses selling or leasing tangile property must obtain a Seller’s Permit.
State Board of Equalization
Sales & Use Tax Division
15350 Sherman Way, Suite 250, Van Nuys
(818) 904-2300.

State Income Tax Information: Businesses should obtain the appropriate State income tax forms from the Franchise Tax Board.
Franchise Tax Board
15350 Sherman Way, Suite 100
Van Nuys, CA 91406-4203
(800) 852-5711

Wage & Hour Laws: Businesses with employees must comply with laws establishing minimum standards for wages, hours, and working conditions
Department of Industrial Relations
6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Room 206
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 901-5315

Workers’ Compensation Information: Businesses with employees must maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage on either a self-insured basis, or provided through a commercial carrier, or the State Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund.
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Workers’ Compensation
6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 105
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 901-5367

Employer Identification Number (EIN or SSN): Employers with employees, business partnerships, and corporations, must obtain an Employer Identification Number from the I.R.S. Businesses can obtain appropriate Federal income tax forms from this location.
Federal Building
6230 Van Nuys Blvd, 1st Floor
Van Nuys, CA 91401

Proof of Residency Requirement: Employees hired after November 6, 1986 must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
US Immigration and Naturalization Service
Los Angeles District Office
300 North Los Angeles Street, Room 1001
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(800) 357-2099

Consulting/Training/Financial Assistance: Consultation, information, assistance, and seminars on various aspects of business operations. Some sessions are offered at no charge.
SBDC (Small Business Development Center)
North Los Angeles County
5121 Van Nuys Blvd., 3rd Floor
Van Nuys, CA 91403
(818) 907-9922

live | work | play | shop | advocate | calendar | chamber | community | join | contact us | get involved! | store

© 2004-2007 Greater San Fernando Valley Chamber. All Rights Reserved. site map | terms of use | home • Site by ReaLife WebDesigns.